Thursday, 24 April 2008

Dribbling

I went to the dentist for a filling this afternoon and foolishly joked before I went about how I'd be drooling afterwards and everyone would avoid me because they'd think I was just a bit weird. Little did I know that there would be some truth in that....

I arrived at the dentist on time for my appointment and as usual had to wait before I was seen - half an hour I had to wait today while someone's little boy caused havoc in the waiting room because he thought it was fun to fill up the plastic cups with water from the machine, dribble half of it across the floor and then put the cup and the remaining half of water into the bin.

Having only had 2 fillings before I had forgotten what it was like, although a lot of people have said that it's the injection they don't like that bit was fine. Even the drilling was fine, I was very glad of the protective glasses that they make you wear as I'd much rather the spit and grinds of teeth landed on the plastic rather than all over my face. I was amazed at how much seems to go into your mouth for one filling though, it seemed like she was filling every tooth on one side of my mouth the amount of things that seemed to be going in there. I did have a slight choking fit at one point so they had to stop for a little while I tried to control my throat while I still had various metal contraptions attached to the tooth.

But the worst part came when she told me to rinse - how hard can it be to put some water in your mouth from a cup and then spit it back out into a bowl that is right next to your head? Quite difficult it seems, when half of your mouth doesn't seem to be within your control when you spit back out half of the water lands in the bowl and the rest lands on your hand, watch, arm and more embarrassingly t-shirt as you then have to go back and wait in reception with 4 other people and 2 receptionists to pay for the privilege of spitting up on your own top. Glad I won't be seeing any of those people again!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Fantastic post - I'm laughing out loud!

A surprisingly detailed and informative section about grinds of teeth hitting your protective glasses...

Hope your mouth has woken up again by now. Did you try the soup in a cup suggestion?

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!
Whatever are we all going to laugh at, till you go to the dentist again!!
Keep saving up!
Just joking....
xx